Dear students, faculty, staff, and cherished alumni!
Your student-run and editorially independent campus newspaper needs you, once again, in our annual April fundraising campaign! Since 1890, the Massachusetts Daily Collegian has served the greater UMass Amherst community with pride and purpose, and our success is attributed to donors like you that make our journalism possible.
Last year in 2022, we had this event and fundraiser during a stressful financial situation following the pandemic. I am thrilled to announce that we raised a total of … drum roll please… $17,000 in April 2022 through our Minutefund and UMass Gives challenge winnings! We could not be more thrilled by the support we have received from our alumni, family, and friends who donated!
Due to your generosity, in the past year, we have been able to...
- Make major strides towards relieving our debt and investing to stabilize our finances
- Hire a web editor to create a better audience experience on our digital news site
- Ensure financial sustainability & promotion efforts (with a lack of print on campus)
- Fund our sports reporters' trips to TN, ME, and DE
- Develop our photos and video department by increasing accessibility to camera equipment for all staff
- Purchase other necessary office supplies
With additional donations next year we hope to…
- Dedicate dollars toward public records requests for more advanced investigative reporting.
- Enhance our podcast studio to create more professional multimedia content.
- Expanding our site’s ad revenue capabilities and PR promotional efforts.
- Reserve funds for writers to travel to more UMass sports championships, news events, and conferences in future years.
- Apply to awards to increase prestige and professionalism.
With your donations, we can continue conducting powerful watchdog journalism and training high-level professional journalists. There is no other news outlet more dedicated to the unique needs of the University and Amherst community than the Daily Collegian.
Please donate what you can. While we are overwhelmed with gratitude when anyone is able to give more than $50, we deeply appreciate those who can give even the cost of a cup of People’s Market coffee.
If you have any questions, concerns, or words of advice on how we can make this campaign as successful as possible, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We sincerely appreciate any help to grow and develop our paper to be the best it can be!
Daily Collegian Staff